Wednesday, March 12, 2008

#4

January 16, 2008 – Paris, Texas

Made it to not-so-gay Paree; I'd forgotten that there are vast wastelands in East Texas that are dry. As in, a simple beer is difficult if not impossible to find. Annoying, yes, but in it's own way oddly touching to see such a misguided but valiant attempt at innocence in such a naughty world. Still, there's a bar here at the Holiday Inn Express - they're not completely uncivilized - where I pounded a coupla vodkas. They wouldn't let me take one to my room, though.
Weather wasn't too bad, gray & some light rain, appropriate cemetary-visiting weather; a sunny day would have been more than I could bear. I stole a fake poinsetta from the grave & left a sprig of pyrocantha.
This part of Texas evidently fancies itself as having sort of an international flair; in addition to the lovely Paris, I saw signs for other such exotically-named towns such as Milano, Naples, Bogota, Athens & Malta.
I ended my evening here with some of the finest cuisine of Paris: a cheeseburger with fries from Denny's. MMmmmm, tastes like America.....greasy, salty and bland.
Took a little video from the car today, but it's gonna be more problematic to upload than I anticipated (of course), it seems I have to convert it or something. So gimme a couple days to fuck around with that & I'll take some regular pictures tomorrow & upload those tomorrow night from Amarillo - tomorrow's goal. Pam signing off.

No comments: