Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Ides of March: United as One, Divided by Zero

I really do just adore these Anonymous folks; who needs 'Survivor' when you can watch anarchy with a sense of humor unfolding right in front of you? Somewhere, Abbie Hoffman is smiling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF2dTMHG-4U

Beautiful day for the Anonymous protests against the fraud and abuses and suppression of free speech by the Church of Scientology in Austin down by UT. A little warm for March - hey, Anonymous....can you maybe work on this whole Global Warming thing after you get done grinding Scientology into dust? Really; I think Al Gore would welcome you with open arms. You're natural allies, since he did, of course, invent the Internet.

I brought delicious chocolate cake, to the delight of many Anonymous protestors, along with party hats. I opted not to wear a mask, since I consider myself an Anonymous supporter and observer, rather than among the actual ranks. I also received compliments on my cool, albeit controversial, Anonymous t-shirt. I fully appreciated the dichotomy of the t-shirt when I bought it, with full knowledge that the very existence of such shirts is anathema to the core belief systems of Anonymous. I felt strongly, however, about showing my support and that as a supporter I could raise awareness by wearing it. Besides, it's really fucking cool.

Met my friend Erika and her friend Thax down there & hung out. Almost as good as sitting on the seawall. Nice vibe; a lot of laughing and dancing and singing. And, of course, cake. Pretty good turnout, I thought, peak count about 80 I heard, and lots of honking support from traffic. Hopefully, the numbers will continue to increase; the next protests are scheduled for 4/12. Expect us! One lone counter-protestor...I felt a little sorry for him. He didn't seem to be having nearly as much fun as everyone else. I watched a little video of some of the other protests; NYC looked like so much fun I'm tempted to fly there for the next round. See that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk_26KVWabw

And don't miss the speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX0VI7B9rIw&feature=related

Got a few nice pics & a coupla videos, including music by the timeless Rick Astley. They can be viewed here: http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/pamsterpics/idesofmarch/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the new layout--that 'demotivation' poster is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

There's a great interview with Rick Astley here:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/webscout/2008/03/rick-astley-kin.html

he's so cool...