Wednesday, March 12, 2008

SW Roadtrip Blog Entry #1 Gearing Up To Go

January 10, 2008 – Gearing Up To Go

Well, it looks like we will be leaving sometime late next week. At the time of this writing, we have revised our plans and are limiting this trip to the Southwest and California for a variety of dreary and tedious reasons. But, hell, who knows what'll happen!
We plan to head to East Texas briefly first, though, so I can make a visit to my family's graves. From there, we'll head northwest to Amarillo where I look forward to visiting the rather silly but oddly compelling Cadillac Ranch. I originally wanted to go through Marfa, but that route would then take us through El Paso and avoiding the border towns seems prudent at this time. Besides, the historic Route 66 sounds like much more fun. We'll be taking that west to Santa Fe and plan on spending a few days there. After that, we'll be going through the Petrified Forest & the Painted Desert towards the Grand Canyon. From there, we'll go to Vegas & then through Death Valley & across California to join Highway 1 at San Luis Obispo happily avoiding the LA area. We'll spend some time going up the coast & visiting Monterey & Carmel & Big Sur & Santa Cruz and then I have to drive my beloved Highway 9 through the Santa Cruz mountains. Perhaps visit Villa Montalvo in Saratoga to hike their beautiful trails. We'll be spending some time in San Francisco, of course and will probably visit Napa & see my old Yosemite pal Dori in Middleton just north of there & the Muir Woods & stuff in that area before heading to Yosemite, the crown jewel of this trip as far as I'm concerned. My memory of the day I left there is so clear; I wondered if I'd ever see it again.

No comments: