Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hawai'i #4

In Love With Lava

We’ve blown off Maui…..I needed to stay right here. I fell in love with Kona the first night and the days just drifted on by. Avoided activities the last coupla days to give Megan’s burn a chance to heal. I’ve been spending a lot of time just hanging out down on the seawall with Dennis & Terry & Scotty and the other beachbums who hang out there. That doesn’t interest Megan, she’s been doing other things, but I could sit down there for a year listening to Dennis, chatting with everybody & watching the world going by without getting bored. Megan dislikes Dennis – she hates all the guys I like. But that’s OK; I’m not wild about the guys that she likes either.

Hell, I’m not even sure I like Dennis all that much, but I am fascinated by him. He’s clearly insane in some yet-to-be-defined way, arrogant as hell, and at least half full of shit. Y’know, I like ‘em like that. But he’s also not a pig, smart as hell – the guy runs circles around me intellectually – and knows a lot about a lot of things & done some amazing stuff. Even if some – or all – of it is bullshit, he sure tells a good story. And, if nothing else, has proved himself trustworthy – a rarity in itself. My attraction to him is less sexual than spiritual (I could hear Dennis laughing down on the seawall as I wrote that….ok, initially it was sexual, but when I started listening to him I realized there was a lot more to it than that. Accurately enough put, Dennis? Good. Now get the hell out of my head and go back to weaving. Send Terry & ‘Lita my love.) Anyway, I had the strongest feeling that there were important things I could learn from him. In some ways, he reminded me of Shirley, the mysterious woman I call my Fairy Godmother. And in fact, many of the things he’s said are the same kinds of things she told me. Megan thinks that’s all a load of crap, but she & I are on different journeys.

I have a lot more to say about Dennis and will be dedicating an entire blog entry to our adventures within the next few days. Most of the above was written several days ago while still in Hawaii & could not post due to connection issues. (Same with pics…will be uploading those today & tomorrow). But I’m home now & digesting some amazing experiences & reviewing what I learned. And trying to get a feel for what will translate well to words & what’s better left in the realm beyond them.

No comments: